Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Guinness Sundaes!!

Okay, so I have been thinking about what I want to do for St. Patrick's Day.  Let me start off by saying - I am NOT Irish.  I'm just your every day, run of the mill Swedish and Filipino gal :-)  I'm not a fan of corned beef, beef brisket, or cabbage.  Sorry Ireland.  I y'am what I y'am! 

Being that we are going to a friend's house for to celebrate the day, I won't even be cooking.  But - I felt like I wanted to do something.  So, I found this recipe from the Food Network website - and I tell you, Guinness, sugar, butter.  My husband's three favorite things!!  Ha!  Put it on top of ice cream?  I'm drooling.

I wanted to make this last night, but hubby didn't get home with the Guinness until after 10pm, and this takes about 45 minutes to simmer up, so by the time 10:00 rolled around, I was more into sitting on the couch watching TV than standing in the kitchen. 

So - at 9am this morning, I cracked open a beer and got working.  For those wondering, the beer went into the saucepan - not a glass for me :-) 

It is SOOOO easy to make and an hour later, Miss Sunshine and I were enjoying an ice cream sundae at 10am (don't judge, super moms!).

I LOVE ice cream - but I tell ya, a plain old vanilla with Guinness syrup is now my new favorite dessert.  Thank you Guinness Breweries and Food Network chefs!  This one is a winner!!

Guinness Sundaes
Original Recipe by Food Network

Bring one 15-ounce can Guinness or other stout beer and 1/2 cup sugar to a simmer in a saucepan over low heat and cook until syrupy, about 40 minutes. Whisk in 3 tablespoons diced cold butter. Drizzle the Guinness caramel over vanilla or butter pecan ice cream and serve with shortbread cookies.

Chef's note: I let this simmer for about an hour, instead since I was feeding this to a 5 year old.  I needed to be extra sure the alcohol was evaporated :-) 




All I can say is . . . mmmm . . .

Please click here for a printable version of this recipe - Kitchen Groovy

Enjoy and live with gusto!
Carina

9 comments:

  1. I love this! It just may be one of our St. Pat's desserts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! My husband would love this!!! I think anytime's a good time for a Sundae!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to start or end your St. Patrick's Day. Love the creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Would have never thought of this! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmm...sounds like a fabulous ice cream topping!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently discovered the flavouring power of reduced Guinness as well -- so yummy! theresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome! I have leftover Guinness from cooking with it this past week so I'm going to have to try this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that looks good...gimmie! :)

    ReplyDelete