Monday, January 24, 2011

Monday Tip of the Week: Grated Cheese

Last night, I was in the process of making dinner when I realized I was out of grated cheese.  Over the weekend, my husband decided to clean out the refrigerator and tossed out anything and everything that was over a week old.  Bless his heart for helping me out, but I didn't appreciate it so much while making dinner. 

I had a large container of shredded parmesan and reggiano cheese from Costco and knew that shredded cheese just wouldn't make the cut.  So, I decided to throw it in my food chopper and see if I can still get the grated consistency.  Absolute success! 

Need to turn shredded cheese into grated cheese?  Try throwing it in the food chopper.  It probably won't be as moist, but it was good enough when I needed it in a pinch.  Also, I would NOT recommend doing that with any soft cheeses. 

Related Tip: you can take blocks of hard cheese and throw those in a regular sized food processor for shredded or grated cheese, too (food chopper will not work with blocks of cheese).  It's a huge timesaver!!



Enjoy and live life with gusto!
Carina

1 comment: