A dear friend of mine gave me this recipe a long time ago, and I'll admit - I haven't had a chance to make it until now. There are so many great recipes out there, and so little time!
I have never made a white chili before, and this one was a winner! I modified it a bit, based on what was in my freezer and pantry, but the base with the same and delicious. I used ground chicken instead of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and I omitted the jalepeno peppers as I just didn't have it on hand. I love the color from the salsa and cilantro and it was DE.LIC.IOUS. Of course, my super picky 14 year old didn't care for it, but he dislikes just about everything. Everyone else loved it! I think pigs will fly when the time comes that my son likes the majority of what is placed in front of him. Bless his stubborn tastebuds, as he is missing out on a lot of great food!
I'll post the original recipe, but this is what I did.
Chunky Chicken Chili
Recipe from Amy (let me give credit where credit is due!!)
1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
5 T olive oil
2 C chopped onions
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 T ground cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, or more to taste
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. salt
2 fresh or canned jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
2 C homemade or prepared chicken broth
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 C frozen corn kernels, thawed
2 C shredded white cheddar cheese
Sour Cream, for serving
Tomato Salsa, for serving
Chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Wash the chicken breasts, pat dry with paper towels, and trim any fat. Cut crosswise into 1/2" strips.
3. Heat 3 T of the olive oil in a 3-4 quart Dutch oven. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, over hight heat until almost cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove to a dish.
4. Add the remaining 2 T oil to the pot and saute the onions, garlic, cumin and cayenne and cook, stirring, over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the oregano, salt, jalapeno peppers, chicken broth, beans, corn, and the partly cooked chicken.
5. Cover and bake for 30-45 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Stir in the cheese and serve with the sour cream, salsa, and chopped cilantro.
Click here for a printable version of this recipe - Kitchen Groovy
Enjoy and live with gusto!