Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Roasted Asparagus with Grated Parmesan

I'm a girl that can't resist a deal, so when I saw a "Buy One, Get One Free" offer on asparagus the other day, I just had to cash in.  We don't eat asparagus very often, because I have kids, and moms know it's challenging to get our kiddos to eat vegetables, let alone veggies like asparagus.  Even though it was a great deal for our bottom line, I knew it would be a hard sell on everyone ages 18 and younger.  Fortunately, 2 out of my 3 kids ate it without complaining - so to me, that equals success.  It actually has encouraged me to keep trying.  While I truly thought that most of the kids would dislike it, Camrie and Susie loved it (she is not a fan of asparagus), but Cole ate only one out of courtesy to me.  I will continue to work on him :-)

Remember, not everyone at the table will LOVE what you cook, but if the kids see you modeling how important vegetables are, sooner or later it will kick in.  I am sticking to this philosophy!

This recipe is a great one, and I am posting it anyway - even if there was 1 person who wasn't a fan!

Roasted Asparagus with Grated Parmesan
2 bunches of asparagus, trimmed
Grated Cheese - desired amount (I didn't measure, but I think I used about a 1/4 C)
Olive Oil
Salt (I like Kosher)
Pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Hold an asparagus spear, and bend the bottom until the rough woody section snaps off.  Use that spear as a guide to line up the rest of the asparagus and use a knife to chop off the rest. 
Place asparagus in a 9x13 baking dish, coat with olive oil (I like to use quite a bit) and sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.  Season with salt and pepper.  Roast until tender - about 15 minutes. 


Enjoy and live life with gusto!
Carina

No comments:

Post a Comment