Friday, January 14, 2011

January: Time to Look Ahead

Monday, January 17th is Martin Luther King Day - but did you know that it is also "National Abandon Your Resolution" Day?  I don't know about you, but I'm not a big fan of making a list of New Year's Resolutions.  However, I am a big fan of goal setting.  Just a slight change in perspective, but it works for me.

Last Friday, Rob and I set our annual date to determine our goals for the upcoming year.  We always go to a restaurant - sometimes fancy, sometimes ultra casual.  This year, Green Mill was the lucky host.  They have the best Desert Fire Pasta.  I always have my little file folder with me carrying our spreadsheet of goals - go ahead, poke fun but it's the accountant in me!  We enjoy a nice meal, better conversation, then we go to work. 

Here is a sampling of what we discuss - and just as important, we set deadlines for each goal:
- tackling yard projects
- financial goals
- exercise routines and how many 5 or 10k's we'll run this year
- clothing expenditures (if Rob needs a new suit or how much to budget for school clothes in August)

Why do we do this and does it work?  I know like many of today's families, Rob and I feel like our schedules run our lives vs. the other way around.  I know - very bad philosophy, but it is what it is.  So, we like to use this time to take control of what the next year will look like.  Additionally, it allows us to re-connect and discuss what we both value. 

Our objective is to keep each goal attainable - no one likes to look back on the past year and feel like they have failed.  With that said, there are times we just didn't make that goal - for a variety of reasons.  We have to be kind to ourselves, too!  But, we re-adjust going forward.

On top of this fun annual event for us, we have yet another excuse to go out on a date and enjoy good food at a local restaurant :-)  Nothing wrong with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment