Friday, June 10, 2011

Grilled Italian Sandwich

In my quest to find recipes that are suitable for my "Picnic and the Park" series, I realized that everything I make isn't going to make the cut.  I have made a few things that my kids have actually gagged on.  Go figure!  I made a healthy wrap - seems safe enough, right?  But for some reason, it tasted horrible!  We  couldn't figure out why it would taste so bad.  It just had meat, lettuce, red peppers - nothing fancy.  Bad, bad, bad.  It made me realize that my pursuit for easy recipes wasn't going to be as easy as I originally thought.  Hmmm . . .

I did come up with this one, and it passed with flying colors.  Now remember - the recipes that become a part of this series are not original by any stretch of the imagination.  Just simple :-)  It will take a bit of time to prep ahead of time, but well worth the $50 we will avoid spending if we eat out.  And yes, $50 for my family is what we would spend.  Thus, my strong desire to bring dinner each night!

Again, the goal is to give you ideas on what to bring to the park.  You can stick with the recipe, or switch out any ingredients to your liking!

Grilled Italian Sandwich
Original Recipe by Kitchen Groovy

1 loaf of your favorite artisan bread
Marinara Sauce
Provolone Cheese, sliced
Salami
Ham
Olive Oil

Take 2 slices of bread, spread marinara sauce on both slices.  On one slice, layer cheese, meat, then more cheese.  Top with second slice of bread.  Brush with olive oil.

Grill on a pan or in a panini press until cheese is melted or sandwich is heated through. 

Wrap in aluminum foil until you are ready to eat.  Serve with your favorite pasta salad, green salad or raw veggies.


Okay, at this point in the game, I know they don't look "picture perfect", but we're going for convenience and easy :-) 

Please click here for a printable version of this recipe - Kitchen Groovy

Enjoy and live with gusto!

4 comments:

  1. Paninis are awesome and mini meals all on there own. You can do so many diffrent kinds and even stuff leftovers in there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeah...this would go over well at our house, too! What a fabulous sandwich~

    ReplyDelete
  3. $50!!! Wow...We're getting close but not $50 yet. We're already eating in most of the days...but sometimes we eat out on weekends and it adds up. You are doing great job Carina! I like this sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of this series and this sandwich sounds great!! There's nothing better than salami and Provolone! Yum!

    ReplyDelete